Understanding and Dealing with Project Uncertainty
Uncertainty, whether it is a risk that will hurt your project or an opportunity that makes your job easier, is everywhere. Often it is hidden, and sneaks up on you when you least expect it.
This course is a practical view of what project managers and their teams must do to identify and manage uncertainty. It includes assessing possible risks and opportunities, their impact, and their complexity. It also discusses numerous forms of mitigation and political challenges.
This course includes numerous scenario-based knowledge checks to evaluate what the student has learned and includes detailed responses that help the student gain practical application. This course is interactive and uses various methods to engage students.
- Techniques for identifying risks
- Techniques for identifying opportunities
- Understanding the basic rules of statistics and how it relates to uncertainty
- How mitigation, exploitation, and contingency are addressed
We offer a variety of formats including on-demand, blended and instructor led. This course is the blended version combining on-demand and virtual coaching for a very effective and interactive learning experience.
- Session 1 Definition and Understanding Risk and Opportunities
- Session 2 Identification and Impact
- Session 3 Compounding Risk
- Session 4 Mitigation, Exploitation, Contingency, and Politics
Identifying and Managing Project Risk: Essential Tools for Failure-Proofing Your Project, by Tom Kendrick
Rescue the Problem Project, by Todd C. Williams
Assets and Templates
- Risk-Opportunity Register
- Risk-Opportunity Assessment Tool
- Risk Probability Tool
- Assumption Log
Estimated Course Length